Celebrating 10 Years of Mac Miller's Watching Movies with the Sound Off

040232021398.jpg

A decade ago, Mac Miller released his second studio album, "Watching Movies with the Sound Off," which marked a significant shift in his artistic direction and solidified his status as a visionary in the world of hip-hop. This album showcased Miller's growth as both a rapper and producer, offering introspective lyrics, intricate instrumentals, and collaborations with a range of talented artists. As we celebrate the 10th anniversary of this influential record, let us delve into its tracks and appreciate the impact it has had on the music industry and Mac Miller's legacy.

Track-by-Track Review:

The Star Room

Opening with haunting and introspective lyrics, "The Star Room" sets the tone for the album. Miller's introspection is complemented by atmospheric production and a captivating flow, which gives the song a sense of vulnerability. It serves as a powerful introduction to the themes of self-discovery and introspection that permeate the album.

Avian

Avian brings a dynamic and ethereal soundscape, highlighting Miller's storytelling abilities. The song's dreamy production, combined with introspective lyrics and Miller's introspective delivery, creates a captivating listening experience that sets the stage for the remainder of the album

I'm Not Real (feat. Earl Sweatshirt)

With its hazy production and introspective verses from both Miller and Earl Sweatshirt, "I'm Not Real" stands out as a collaborative gem. The chemistry between the two artists is evident, making this track a standout moment on the album.

S.D.S.

S.D.S. showcases Mac Miller's growth as a producer, as he weaves together a hypnotic beat with sharp lyrics and infectious hooks. This track's catchy chorus and energetic vibe make it a fan favorite, demonstrating Miller's versatility as an artist.

Bird Call

Bird Call combines a head-nodding beat with introspective lyrics, displaying Miller's ability to navigate between introspection and playful wordplay effortlessly. It's a track that exemplifies his growth as a lyricist and showcases his unique style.

Matches (feat. Ab-Soul)

Matches features a standout verse from Ab-Soul, "Matches" is a contemplative and lyrically dense track. Miller and Ab-Soul's chemistry is palpable, elevating the song's introspective nature and making it a memorable collaboration.

I Am Who Am (Killin' Time) (feat. Niki Randa)

I Am Who Am (Killin' Time) slows down the tempo, providing a moment of reflection within the album. Miller's introspective lyrics are complemented by Niki Randa's ethereal vocals, creating a serene and introspective atmosphere.

Objects in the Mirror

This track showcases Miller's introspection and vulnerability. With its soulful production and introspective lyrics, "Objects in the Mirror" is an emotional standout on the album, capturing Miller's ability to express raw and heartfelt emotions.

Red Dot Music (feat. Action Bronson)

Red Dot Music delivers hard-hitting bars from both Mac Miller and Action Bronson. With its gritty production and confident delivery, the track exemplifies Miller's growth as a rapper, solidifying his place among hip-hop's elite.

Gees (feat. ScHoolboy Q)

Gees brings a dose of energy to the album, with its bouncy beat and infectious hooks. Miller and ScHoolboy Q's chemistry is infectious, making this track an undeniable banger and an enjoyable addition to the album.

Watching Movies

The title track "Watching Movies" combines menacing production with Miller's charismatic flow. It serves as a standout moment on the album, with Miller displaying his ability to craft catchy hooks and deliver sharp verses.

Suplexes Inside of Complexes and Duplexes (feat. Jay Electronica)

Featuring an exceptional verse from Jay Electronica, this track showcases Miller's ability to hold his own alongside seasoned lyricists. The song's intricate production and thought-provoking lyrics make it a highlight on the album.

Remember

Remember closes the album on a poignant note, with Miller reflecting on his journey and grappling with the challenges of fame. The song's introspective lyrics and melancholic production provide a fitting conclusion to this transformative body of work

Ranking of each song on the album

Objects in the Mirror
The Star Room
S.D.S.
Avian
Watching Movies
Matches (feat. Ab-Soul)
Bird Call
I Am Who Am (Killin' Time) (feat. Niki Randa)
I'm Not Real (feat. Earl Sweatshirt)
Remember
Red Dot Music (feat. Action Bronson)
Gees feat. ScHoolboy Q)
Suplexes Inside of Complexes and Duplexes (feat. Jay Electronica)

As we celebrate the 10th anniversary of "Watching Movies with the Sound Off," it is evident that Mac Miller's artistry and growth as an artist continue to resonate with listeners. This album solidified his place as one of hip-hop's most innovative and introspective voices, leaving a lasting impact on the genre. From its atmospheric production to Miller's introspective lyrics, each track on this album showcases his ability to navigate through different sonic landscapes while maintaining a cohesive and captivating body of work. A decade later, "Watching Movies with the Sound Off" remains an essential listen for both Mac Miller fans and hip-hop enthusiasts alike, serving as a testament to Miller's talent, vision, and lasting legacy.

This album is genuinely my favourite album of all time. It is something I have never heard before, and haven't heard since. It conveys so many different emotions and settings while frequently changing the soundscape, but it never loses the listener or becomes disinteresting.
The fact that every single person who listens to this has a different favourite song should tell you something about how well-rounded and audibly stunning it is. Fucking perfect album to me, and if I had to choose a favourite, I think "I'm Not Real" would be it. The flow that coincides with the spacey beat and mac's adlibs and chorus along with Earl just make it so easy to enjoy every single time.
Thank you @Frst :pray:

S tier: Red Dot Music, Suplexes
A tier: Star Room, watching movies, someone like you, avian
B tier: SDS, bird call, Gees, remember
C tier: everything else
D tier: I'm not real, claymation

S+ tier: Star Room OG, start a revolution

• Sad
Reactions: cokey
RIP mac miller, amazing artist and has helped all of us through shit times, Star room (specifically OG version) or Youforia would be the best on this album

Reactions: arileakgrande
Top Bottom