Magna Carta: Data Grail

2013. JAY-Z releases his highly anticipated album, Magna Carta... Holy Grail. Four days prior to digital download on iTunes and many other stores, Samsung releases the "Magna Carta" app, an application featuring the album in .mp3 files and behind the scenes footage. How it worked was: Samsung bought a million copies of the album in advance for the album's release, and the user that downloaded the app shared their data in order for Samsung to share it, a way for Samsung to make their money back.

Users were worried that the Samsung app was made purely for data sales, and they were right. In return for what most said was a subpar album, they had (allegedly) location history, phone number and likely a lot more. Although the album had hit singles such as "FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt" with Rick Ross, "Oceans" with Frank Ocean, and "Heaven" with Justin Timberlake, the value of each user's data was worth much, much more, making a not so great return.

CEO Michael Darviche of the now-rebranded data marketing firm BlueCava, said "it's probably worth $25,000 every time they sell it." This means that the data they sold was worth $25,000, and with free roam to sell to any and every company that wants it. In 2013, there was approximately 250,000 data suppliers, so for a total of $10M+ put into the app, there was a total supply of $6.25B of data in circulation. A great decision for Samsung.

So what can we actually get from this? One of the biggest tech giants of all time Samsung made a great (yet shady) decision, in return for many people fearing for their privacy yet keeping a free album, but nothing actually mattered. Every company already has your data. Whether you actually downloaded the app at the time or not, you already gave this data to Apple, Google (even the amount of time you read this is being sold to data marketing companies for $0.025) and other companies, you don't need to worry about your privacy. You still have none.

2013. JAY-Z releases his highly anticipated album, Magna Carta... Holy Grail. Four days prior to digital download on iTunes and many other stores, Samsung releases the "Magna Carta" app, an application featuring the album in .mp3 files and behind the scenes footage. How it worked was: Samsung bought a million copies of the album in advance for the album's release, and the user that downloaded the app shared their data in order for Samsung to share it, a way for Samsung to make their money back.

Users were worried that the Samsung app was made purely for data sales, and they were right. In return for what most said was a subpar album, they had (allegedly) location history, phone number and likely a lot more. Although the album had hit singles such as "FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt" with Rick Ross, "Oceans" with Frank Ocean, and "Heaven" with Justin Timberlake, the value of each user's data was worth much, much more, making a not so great return.

CEO Michael Darviche of the now-rebranded data marketing firm BlueCava, said "it's probably worth $25,000 every time they sell it." This means that the data they sold was worth $25,000, and with free roam to sell to any and every company that wants it. In 2013, there was approximately 250,000 data suppliers, so for a total of $10M+ put into the app, there was a total supply of $6.25B of data in circulation. A great decision for Samsung.

So what can we actually get from this? One of the biggest tech giants of all time Samsung made a great (yet shady) decision, in return for many people fearing for their privacy yet keeping a free album, but nothing actually mattered. Every company already has your data. Whether you actually downloaded the app at the time or not, you already gave this data to Apple, Google (even the amount of time you read this is being sold to data marketing companies for $0.025) and other companies, you don't need to worry about your privacy. You still have none.
Informative writing and to the point
had no idea this happened

hey no like hate on shutupant at all but out of the articles that are pending rn the mods chose to approve his? Like literally 5 articles are pending and waiting for approval...
im lowkey shocked too but most of them are deleted unfortunately, really wanted to see the wu-tang one and the one about how to be a better musician or whatever

Reactions: Whaleski
hey no like hate on shutupant at all but out of the articles that are pending rn the mods chose to approve his? Like literally 5 articles are pending and waiting for approval...
dang i had no idea the wu-tang one was pending, i was actually really looking forward to that ever since zonark mentioned it in one of his threads. i just assumed he never got around to making it :notsweeped: thats probably the best story in rap and 100% deserves to be on the front page

the data breach topic is really cool and relevant though, not a lot of people know about all the weird stuff that happened behind the scenes like the fake platinum award jay-z hilariously received after samsung bought 1 million copies, but it should of had a thread instead since this is basically the equivalent of a reddit post (no offense to antonio)

jay-z's lack of excitement in the photo really says it all here :cwlg:

The based way to view internet safety is to accept the fact that your data is going to be sold no matter what you do, assuming of course you want to be a non-paranoid functioning member of society.

The best way to go about it is giving as little information as possible to companies and doing your best to maintain anonymity, especially on shady corners of the internet like leaked.

Also don't use chrome :sweeped:

dang i had no idea the wu-tang one was pending, i was actually really looking forward to that ever since zonark mentioned it in one of his threads. i just assumed he never got around to making it :notsweeped: thats probably the best story in rap and 100% deserves to be on the front page

the data breach topic is really cool and relevant though, not a lot of people know about all the weird stuff that happened behind the scenes like the fake platinum award jay-z hilariously received after samsung bought 1 million copies, but it should of had a thread instead since this is basically the equivalent of a reddit post (no offense to antonio)

def agreed, there was another one too that's hella long that i think deserves front page, hopefully articles get approved more frequently

Reactions: telephone
always share your date online it is completely safe.
Bonus points for clicking as many links and pop up ads as possible

• cwl
Reactions: PerfectAngel

Bro is like "what the fuck am I doing here"

great read I was 13 when the album rolled out and the Samsung shit was so confusing luckily I figured out zippyshare and mp3 converters

Top Bottom