Review: Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next

PicsArt_02-26-10.14.01.jpg
cover by @crymeariver / me
PicsArt_02-25-08.56.52.png
"behind the cover" - no effects with extended body & hair parts by @crymeariver / me
(took me around 3 hours in total)

ThaNk U, nExT
The second most succesful album by Ariana Grande with zero skips finally got our spot in our home blog.

To get you in the thank u, next era atmosphere, because it's already gone, let me share some info from the beginning.

ThE bEgiNniNG
After releasing her experimental album called "Sweetener" along with having her happy relationship with Pete Davidson, it was the happiest phase of her life. Although the album didn't come out as the best one, some of the album tracks and it's scrapped tracks are bops (review about these tracks is coming out sometimes in late march/april).

Ariana Grande has broke off the engagement later in October 2018 and shortly after she got inspired to make the upcoming album we're talking about here.

FiRSt trAckLisT
The original tracklist involved now unreleased track called "reMeMber", which got later replaced for "break up with your girlfriend, I'm bored". Ariana teased her tracklist first time on her music video for sweetener song called "breathin" where on train-timetable we're visible track titles "Imagine", "reMeMber", "Needy" & "NASA". After re-thinking the tracklist, Ariana has decided to remove "reMeMber" and replace it with younger song called "break up with your girlfriend, I'm bored" as already was mentioned.

Here's a quick GIF from "Breathin" MV showing some titles of the original tracklist.

AGBreathing.gif

ThE rEVieW:
1. iMaGiNe
  • track length: 3:32
  • highlight: bridge/outro
  • do i listen to it: yes
  • my opinion: I prefer intro as full song with some special meaning or something, than just short track or "intro material". This one feels like regular song material, you know what I mean. I love the start, it starts off calmly. I like the drums a lot and the reverb on snare. The song is so chilling and bop at same time, catchy, the instrumental is good as well. The bridge/outro whistles are amazing. Perfect intro.

rating: 10/10

AGimagine.gif
(preview from "santa tell me (live) on sweetener world tour")

2. NeeDy
  • track length: 2:51
  • highlight: chorus
  • my opinion: This one got teased earlier than the rest of the album and it built very well. The song has one loop, people call the bell annoying, but I like it. The song is once again chill and bop. I love the snaps, but i'd prefer if the chorus had some kicks on chorus.

3. NASa
  • track length: 3:02
  • my opinion: The intro is interesting and the rest of the song is very good, i like the instrumental, it really reminds me some space vibes, something from like rocket alarm or something. The song is bop, i love it. The best part is the "NASA" part right before chorus, then the chorus itself. The whole song is bop, the production and everything. Great piece.

4. bLoOdliNe
  • track length: 3:36
  • my opinion: The intro is funny, i love these little voicemails in the beginning, it shows how much fun ariana has making these songs, how personal it is for her. The song is upbeat. I love the trumpets, the instrumental. I know i say it for every song, but it's true. The post-chorus instrumental just gives great vibes for the song. The bridge is nice change for the song and bop as well.

5. faKe sMiLe
  • track length: 3:28
  • my opinion: The sample is great intro, perfect choice, it fits the vibe. The begininng already tells u "get ready for the ride". I love the chill, but upbeat/bop vibe. The lyrics are sometimes "emotional" but with the upbeat vibe, it's masked well. I love it, nice one for chilling.

6. BaD iDea
  • track length: 4:27
  • my opinion: let's diss on this one's too long bridge, it's my least fav part of this song, but the instrumental gives me some dancing vibes. Ariana's voice is so fine, her harmonies sound amazing as usually. The chorus gives chills. It's pretty good song, except the too long bridge!

rating: 9.5/10

AGbadidea.gif
(preview from "bad idea (live) on sweetener world tour")

7. MAKe uP
  • track length: 2:20
  • highlight: bridge
  • do i listen to it: barely
  • my opinion: My favorite one to diss on, but it's not that bad, it's just the least "thank u, next" track of them all, it gives me more sweetener vibes with the instrumental and the backing vocals. The bridge part "issa mood, issa vibe, issa look, issa match" it's the best one. I can vibe to it, but i don't listen to it when I'm not in the mood.

rating: 9/10

8. GHoSTiN
  • track length: 4:31
  • highlight: verse 2
  • do i listen to it: no
  • my opinion: The saddest song on the album, I don't listen to it. It's beautiful song for sad moments, when you're sad, u can be sad more with this song. But no seriously, the song is amazing vocally, lyrically. It deserved way more than it got. But I'm not surprised. People don't wanna be more sad than they are. The instrumental is so chill and the vocals are so painful. Not in bad way, u just can hear her pain singing it. It was track that took her the longest to make. (no wonder)

rating: 10/10 (for the quality of the song)

9. iN mY hEaD
  • track length: 3:43
  • highlight: outro
  • my opinion: From slow sad song dedicated to Mac & Pete (by my opinion) to Doug talking about ariana having too much imaginaton. In my head is chilling. Some parts are upbeat, but the song can come out as sad as well. The chorus is amazing vocally, but the outro is killing me always. If we slowed the bpm of this song, it would be another ghostin.

AGimh2.gif
(preview from "in my head" promotional Music Video)

10. 7 rIngS
  • track length: 2:58
  • highlight: bridge
  • my opinion: Bad bitch has came to shade other songs. Ariana's sample from "my favorite things" by some woman i don't remember the name now. Took me 3 listens to love this song for 3 months straight, then another 9 months with breaks (switching songs more), bad bitch upbeat energy song. Locals would say it's about money and being rich. Kinda true, but also about friendship and fun with life. I love the instrumental, someone called it "submarine alarm sound" i choked. It's catchy, bad bitch, for dance, nothing wrong with this song.

AG7rings.gif
(preview from "7 rings" Music Video)

11. ThaNk U, nExT
  • track length: 3:36
  • my opinion: Arianators anthem since the song dropped. Ariana thanking her exes for experiences, but moving with life expecting new one to come was kinda short chapter. The instrumental is sooo good. I love it. The background vocals for this songs are special to me, they just sound superior to me. The whole song is good. The bridge is emotional, but once again upbeat, so u can barely notice. Bop, period.

AGthankunext.gif
(preview from "thank u, next" Music Video)

12. bReaK Up wiTh yOuR giRlfrieNd, I'M bOreD
  • track length: 3:10
  • my opinion: My fav, when i heard the album, i skipped first to break up with your girlfriend, I'm bored and I knew it correctly, i loved the song. I'm kinda glad. When i heard reMeMber i realized buwygib is way better song / bop. I'm glad she switched it, but i wouldn't mind reMeMber leaking, it's our piece, we knew we could get, but didn't. I love the isntrumental, it's so my shit. The trap vibes and the synth is so fine. I hope more songs like this come. They call it "quick n easy done" i dont think so, she could've done other song faster and y'all still find some shit on this bop. I love it.

rating: 10+/10

AGbuwyg.gif
(preview from "break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored" Music Video)

Q&A
  • What's your favorite song off this album?
  • What songs would you make single, if you were to choose?
  • Would you put back "reMeMber" instead "break up with your girlfriend, I'm bored"
I'd like to thank @MTTL for being my god. I can't thank him enough, give him a follow ?

Next article: Review: Sweetener (Deluxe)

© Written by crymeariver on leaked.is | 2021 march

Last edited:
I wasn't really interested in listening to Ariana Grande but I decided to check out break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored a while ago and now she's near the top of artists I really need to listen to soon. That song is so fucking good

• RT
Reactions: crymeariver
I wasn't really interested in listening to Ariana Grande but I decided to check out break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored a while ago and now she's near the top of artists I really need to listen to soon. That song is so fucking good
If you liked "buwygib" maybe give a try "how i look on you", they sound quite similar :sweeped:

hii i love this review, you spilled bestie! ?

my favourite song from tun is bloodline!
the songs i would make a single? erm i’m not sure…
NO I LOVE BUWYGIB & THE MUSIC VIDEO

• RT
Reactions: crymeariver
Top Bottom