Joji: Not Your One Trick Pony

F976619B-8B9B-44B2-BB4B-8EA31DD7C576.jpeg

George K. Miller, born September 16th, 1993 in Osaka, Japan, started his Internet career on June 6th, 2006, under the name Cosmochino. Now, this 144p video named “Retard Ray” was not popular by any means. And 13-year-old George was not expecting to be one of the biggest channels on YouTube at one point. Or a mainstream artist at another point. Now 14, George makes a new channel on September 23rd, 2006, under the name “2cool4u92.” He uploads his first and only video on the channel of him “breakdancing” with the same name on October 17th, 2006. Now unfortunately, this is not a recap in words of Joji’s life story (although I’d like to give a huge thanks to @TheAwesomeGM on twitter for their great timeline — link here — thank you.) but instead, this is focusing on the musical side of his career. So let’s start here.

INTRO TO MUSIC

It’s known that sometime in 2008, George made his first beat — a recreation of Lil Wayne’s A Milli. He stopped making music for a while as he worked on school stuff and making stupid videos for fun. On October 25th, 2009, the first actual song is published online, called The Greatest Song Ever, under the alias MC George. One of his first live shows can be found online, when he went under the name MC Ruckuss (he really wanted to be an MC) in 2010. This was a show of his rap group at the time, Beats N’ Miso. Later, in 2011, MC Ruckuss has a new song with no title. During this time, George took a break from uploading on his DizastaMusic channel, but on August 6th, 2011, he returns with the new Filthy Frank personality. This would be a huge landmark for future endeavors, but he still wouldn’t know.

The next day, George bought a pink outfit, celebrated on Tumblr, and that was that for a little bit. On November 8th, 2011, George released “Who’s the Sucker,” his second publicly available song. Then, sometime in 2012, George released Waffle House In Guam, under MC Ruckuss (still going two years later) and on February 11th, 2012, Pink Guy was created.

On March 31st, 2012, George graduated high school in Kobe, Japan.

PINK GUY

Pink Guy is important for a few reasons. One, it’s what got George viral. Two, it was a huge stepping stone in George’s career. Three, George branched out with Pink Guy’s music. On December 7, 2012, Pink Guy released the first song, PINK GUY RAPS?! Then on April 23rd, 2014, Pink Guy’s self titled album released, consisting of 21 tracks. While George was working hard on growing the Filthy Frank brand, he was working on other things too behind the scenes. On May 3rd, George created two important channels—Jojivlogs and anna gold. On May 29th, 2015, the PinkOmega channel was created, and days later, on June 5th, George uploaded the song dumplings. On August 29th, George then released wefllagn.ii under the PinkOmega name.

THE BIRTH OF CHLOE BURBANK

On October 9th, 2015, thom is released under the pseudonym of Chloe Burbank but as Joji for the first time. Remember that important channel anna gold from late May 2015? Well it’s January 13th, 2016 and now two videos are uploaded—thom and you suck charlie. Both under the Joji name. Both instant classics. On April 1st, 2016, world$tar money was released on SoundCloud and streaming services. This was Joji’s first track to win a RIAA Gold Record and was generally liked by a lot of people. On December 26th, 2016, thom was released on the 88rising channel. There was never any more Chloe Burbank after this. Joji signed to 88rising sometime in Q1/Q2 2017

ENDING FILTHY FRANK

On September 24th, 2016, his most popular Pink Guy song and video was released: STFU. On October 4th, Pink Guy made his first cameo on the 88rising channel. On December 25th, Filthy Frank made a cameo on the 88rising channel. On January 4, 2017, Pink Season was released. Surprisingly, It topped some charts and was very well liked by Frank fans. Joji uploaded the final video to the TooDamnFilthy channel just ten days later. On May 24, 2017, Pink Season: The Prophecy EP is released, just a few remixes of Pink Season songs. Between May 24 and July 6th of 2017, four Pink Guy videos were uploaded to the 88rising channel— two music videos and two Pink Party videos.

George released the final Pink Guy song, Asian Pizza, to his channel on August 5, 2017. A book named Francis of the Filth released 9/11 of 2017. The final Filthy Frank video was uploaded on September 27th, 2017, and no character was ever seen again. George posted an official announcement of the end of Filthy Frank on December 29th, in a now deleted tweet from the @/FilthyFrank twitter.

IN TONGUES

With George no longer having to create content for his extremely popular internet show, George wants to pursue what he’s always wanted to — music. On October 27th, 2017, Joji released his new single, Will He. This track would be put in his EP, In Tongues. The music video for Will He released October 18th, and got people hyped for this new era of George. Nine days later, Joji released “Lost Instruments,” a collection of unreleased songs.

In Tongues released November 3rd with the Empire 👀 and 88rising label. The album consisted of lofi sounds with lots of clicks, chains and bass. On 1/18/18, Joji released 18 with Kris Wu, Rich Brian, Trippie Redd, and Baauer. Joji performed at the In Tongues tour from 2/7/18 - 2/20/18. A deluxe version of In Tongues released February 14th, 2018, featuring two new songs, Plastic Taste and I Don’t Wanna Waste My Time, and eight remixes, including Window (Actress Remix) and was not something too exciting overall.

BALLADS 1

On May 5th, 2018, YEAH RIGHT is released. July 6th, Midsummer Madness with Higher Brothers, NIKI, Rich Brian and AUGUST 08 is released by 88rising. On July 20th, Peach Jam with BlocBoy JB is released. These two songs were put on the Head In The Clouds album by 88, but they both promoted BALLADS 1. On September 12th, 2018, SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK was released, and marked yet another new era for Joji. CAN’T GET OVER YOU was released on October 2nd. TEST DRIVE was released 14 days later, and on October 25th, BALLADS 1 was released. The album consisted of some pop sounds, but mostly R&B/Soul tracks. Joji went on tour from 12/6/18 - 2/23/19 in Europe and North America. LOST BALLADS was released on April 16th, 2019 along with a VHS and a solid H&M remix of CAN’T GET OVER YOU.

NECTAR

June 14th, 2019 — the release date of Sanctuary. This marked a new era for George. On October 11th, Breathe, with Don Krez is put on HITC II. This track is pretty solid if you haven’t heard it already for whatever reason. Joji created his new YouTube channel on December 17th and let it sit for a while.

RUN was released on February 6th, 2020. It was loved by fans for having a great guitar solo and powerful lyrics. On April 9th, Joji uploaded a teaser for PRETTY BOY, featuring a VHS-type music video. Lil Yachty was not rumored to be on this track by this point. On April 16th, Gimme Love was released. This was a great R&B song, and great singing by Joji. Daylight, prod. by Diplo was released on August 6th, with a pop sound and deep lyrics. On September 23rd, Gimme Cum was released on Joji’s YouTube channel for exactly one hour.

Nectar was released on September 25th after getting delayed and was enjoyed by fans as it also had features from BENEE, Omar Apollo, Rei Brown, Lil Yachty and Yves Tumor (although i hate that song imo). Two days later, Joji released his first music video on his new channel for Tick Tock. Unfortunately, FTC was teased but not put on the album which did disappoint a lot of fans. September 30th brought The Extravaganza, a one night only ticketed live event with digital tickets being sold through jojiextravaganza.com. Viewers were asked to not record but some did for archival purposes. On October 20th, a music video for Your Man was released. Joji was not in the music video but it was a good song with easy to memorize lyrics and an astronaut looking like he’s having a seizure the entire time. Joji went on tour for Nectar from 11/12/21 - 12/10/21. Tickets were sold out instantly. I tried buying them and I couldn’t even get a ticket. Was literally sold out in less than two minutes. And there was a queue. Anyways, that’s the Nectar era.

The Nectar era was very long. For the first half, Joji was constantly promoting the album and staying active on social media until about the release of Daylight. Joji was radio silent for seven months.

SMITHEREENS

On May 21st, 2022, skyupsahl leaked a snippet for Glimpse of Us. She told us what to expect. But we were still not ready. Joji released Glimpse of Us on June 10th accompanied with a fantastic music video that is better than listening to the normal song, due to the music video having a very chaotic sound with screaming, explosions and arguments. Still silence from Joji but 88rising is attempting to promote new stuff, and on August 25th (my birthday), YUKON (INTERLUDE) was released. This track was perfect. The keys, the beat, the lyrics, and the vibe, I was playing this 24/7. Joji did not miss, but he was still gone. Joji announced a tour on September 1st, causing speculation of the next album name (it was the album name :o) Joji went on tour from 9/1/22 - 10/20/22.

SMITHEREENS released November 4th. It was met with mixed reviews. Why? First, it was much different from Joji’s usual music, and there’s a reason why. He didn’t produce or write most of it, just performed, so it felt rushed or incomplete. At first I did not like it, but i’ve grown to it. It’s quite beautiful. Joji is going on a small tour again from 5/6/23 - 8/17/23 in NYC, London and LA.

Joji doesn’t just stick to one thing. He isn’t afraid to take risks. Sure, it took him a little longer than he wanted to become Joji because he was afraid to have no fans, but he still did it. Joji shows a lot of things. If you’re talented it helps. He creates great melodies, iconic instrumentals, genius lyrics, but it doesn’t matter. He started his career by making stupid videos with his friends. Then by himself in his dorm room. He started by just staying in school. And we can all learn from that.

Once again, thanks to TheAwesomeGM, thanks to sky for the encouragement, thanks for inDe_eD for the author role, and thanks to OddStupidity for the encouragement too.

Thanks for reading, and for those who ain’t reading allat, tl;dr: joji is genius. If you have any feedback, please let me know in the comments. Sorry if my writing is bad, i’m still working on it. Give me a few months.

Last edited:
this is a really sweet and charming article compared to the chaotic funny shit we usually get. i would like to read more of these

Top Bottom