Antarctic.

Hello everybody. I’ve seen a few people complaining about the current front page article about ALLTY5 being an eyesore. As of 9/29/2023, 11:25pm, I suddenly feel oddly motivated to make an article to give Leaked.Cx users the reprieve they so desire.

For this article, I will be writing a very casual review of an obscure instrumental math rock album called “Antarctic” by a band of the same name, released in 2009. I say very casual because this is an instrumental album and I have very very little understanding of music and instruments in general, so it's going to be sort of hard to try and pretend I know what I’m talking about here.

Why this album, you may ask? Well, in my search for new things to listen to, I’ve discovered a very effective method for discovering new and obscure bands/ artists. I have used this method to find multiple songs, albums, and bands that I've enjoyed. This album and band was just the most recent example, and I feel like it wouldn’t be very challenging to write about. Before you ask, I will not tell you the method (IYKYK), and I will not talk about or show you the other songs, albums, and bands I have discovered using it.

I’m writing this review in hopes of maybe expanding the tastes of some of the denizens on this website. I’m talking about the people on here that only listen to Juice WRLD and Lil Uzi Vert, and drool while clapping their hands together while doing so. It’s fun to expand your tastes and listen to something new, you should try it. Another hope of mine is that people in the comments start discussing other good obscure albums they enjoy, which I will then be able to listen to for my own enjoyment.

I’ve blabbered and yapped on enough, even though this review doesn’t matter too much and the primary reason is to knock off the current article that has been dominating the front of the website. Let's get right into it.

First, who are these guys? It isn’t too important, but I'll give some exposition. Antarctic is a band formed in 2006 hailing from Jacksonville, Florida. These dudes are so old that they have a Myspace link on their Facebook, crazy stuff. According to RYM, they have only released this album, and before that, a 4 song EP in 2007 of demos of songs off of the album. I have not been able to find the EP in question, and I am not aware of any other music released under the band's name.

Lets get into the actual music now. I'm going to be trying my best as its an instrumental album, so cut me some slack here. The album has a runtime of 30 minutes 30 seconds, and is 9 tracks long. In reality, it is more like 7 tracks, as 2 songs on the album are titled as "intros". The album has impressive transitions between tracks, I found myself surprised listening to it for the first time.

The first song, "Intro", is a minute long. It is a very relaxed track, and it transitions perfectly into the next song, "Arrowhead Wounds."

"Arrowhead Wounds" is nearly 5 minutes long. it starts off pretty relaxed, then at 1:35 starts getting a bit more intense. This continues on for awhile and it sounds great. (What do you want me to say, this is a fucking instrumental album, listen to it yourself, I'm just bullshitting at this point its midnight and I wanted to write, who cares.) The final minute of the track picks up again, and then we have another perfect transition into the next track, "Your Ships Are Googlin' Pretty Hard".

This is a highlight track for me. it's 3:15 long, and its just amazing. Just a fantastic instrumental, then my favorite part comes in at 2:42. A single "woo". I shouldn't have to explain why this is as awesome as it is, but I will anyways. When I first heard this woo, I instantly was brought back to listening to another of my favorite bands, who also utilizes a "woo" in some of their songs. (I won't be naming this band, but I will say that they have created and are continuing to create some of the best music I have ever heard and experienced in my life). It made me think about woos in general. They're absolutely fantastic, such an effective way to inject some hype into your track. A very excellent choice for them to incorporate it into their song. We now move onto the next track called "Friendly Insects."

Anyone still reading this? If you are, let me know if you've been playing CS2 and how you like it. "Friendly Insects" is a very chill and fun track, and has a runtime of 4:52. It doesn't get too crazy, I would say it is much more chill than "Arrowhead Wounds" and "Your Ships are Googlin' Pretty Hard." Not much to say here, just a solid track.

We now transition into "Intro II". This is a brief 51 second song bridging us to the next track titled "Bergen", which we launch into with yet another amazing transition. "Bergen" is another chill more laid back track. This changes at the 2 minute mark, where we get a more energetic and crazier portion of the song. The track then calms down, and we move onto "Hey Kids!".

"Hey Kids!" is another highlight on the album for me. I won't even explain it. Not because I'm running out of things to say (which I am), but I feel the need to have one track on here that shouldn't be spoiled, even vaguely. The song is quite hypnotic, and to make it even better, it transitions into my absolute favourite song off the album.

"Pasea la Salamandria" is absolutely incredible. I am not exaggerating when I say I listen to this song over a dozen times a day, just so I can squeeze as much serotonin out of it as possible until it is completely bone dry. This is a more high energy song that sounds absolutely mindblowing. If you dont give a single fuck about this album, please at least give this song a shot, I promise it's worth your time. We now move onto the final track of the album.

"This Product Forbids the Swallow" starts off very calm. I will admit I've stopped trying to bullshit as its 12:24 AM while I'm writing this, so I'll describe the sound as a sort of mellow but hopeful sound. We have a bunch of guitars guitaring all over the place and its just fantastic. Anyone still reading this? Hello? How's it going? I think I'm starting to check out of writing this article to be honest with you. This is a fantastic song, and an amazing way to round off a great album that I'll say is underrated.

I've listened to this album plenty of times and quite honestly may be sick of hearing it after listening to it so much, especially while writing this article. If you've actually read this entire thing, congratulations. I hope you enjoyed me experiencing brief consciousness for the duration of this article. I will be returning to hell after it gets approved. I do not know why I decided to write it after seeing someone be upset at the current front page article, but what the hell ever. Its just something for fun that I did spontaneously. I hope you enjoyed it. Have a wonderful night or day, wherever you are.

Forgive me for any spelling or formatting errors made. It's 12:30 AM. :sweeped:

Picture from progarchives.com

cool article but mans is really gatekeeping a method on how to find obscure bands like wouldn’t it be more helpful to the bands if the method was public? idc just saying

u should def do one of these every once in a while with some shit nobody here has heard probably
idrc about sharing methods to a leaked website since half of you guys won't care but if you go on YouTube and start with an already lesser known band (such as this one) and go through the side recommended you will find either the worst dog shit or a holy grail of some old people who never went mainstream. You may get stuck in the same bands music on your reccomended so just go back to a different song and repeat the process. Also finding the Spotify account for some of these people and looking at similar artists will get you some crazy stuff. I've found artists like Jejune and Citrobal just from like 10 min of looking.

idrc about sharing methods to a leaked website since half of you guys won't care but if you go on YouTube and start with an already lesser known band (such as this one) and go through the side recommended you will find either the worst dog shit or a holy grail of some old people who never went mainstream. You may get stuck in the same bands music on your reccomended so just go back to a different song and repeat the process. Also finding the Spotify account for some of these people and looking at similar artists will get you some crazy stuff. I've found artists like Jejune and Citrobal just from like 10 min of looking.
it's really easy to do if you've been on the internet for a long time, imo soulseek and the obscure shit from rym is a great way to find bands that have only been listened to by like 8 people in 2007. what.cd used to be amazing for this, i'm unaware if something similar to it exists now but i would love to know if anyone else knows of one.

Reactions: Phoenixx
Top Bottom