ANNOUNCEMENT Current information on upcoming changes

admin

Comfortable Member
System Administrator
Jan 27, 2021
Dear community, As you know, we have monthly costs, which are handled again and again by our community:

Normally, the fixed costs are always compensated for monthly by user upgrades.
However, since Coinbase Commerce has decided to introduce KYC, this is currently not the case for us.

Unfortunately, the forum was completely forgotten on the technical level. Be it through plugins, software or outdated components. Currently, user upgrades for renewal are disabled until a decent solution is implemented. As a technical administrator, I have now set myself a deadline to carry out upcoming important upgrades.

Red = Hasn't started yet.
Orange = Started.
Green = Done.
White = Added to the list, implementation not yet clear.

(Update: 07.01.2024)

• Component and server, software up to date.
  • Self-written component to accept crypto payments for user upgrades.
  • Various new features for user upgrades (including reimplementation of music profile and much more.)
  • Possibilities to carry out GBs via Forum without having to use middleman service.
  • Missing design implementations that will be fixed.
  • Own SMTP on a separate server to be able to offer smooth email traffic.

There was still a question as to why the server costs would be so high per month. We have an exotic server location with dedicated technology with high memory usage to keep the forum running smoothly. Xenforo is enormously resource-heavy. With a high number of image attachments, avatars, and an immense database, we are currently at a storage consumption of around 320GB including database and content.

I ask you to post suggestions here in the thread if we could possibly enforce them, I could add some of your ideas to the list.

Seandc02

Comfortable Member
Feb 1, 2021
Here's some suggestions

-Put robots.txt to Disable archive.org bot and Google archiving if you haven't already to reduce traffic slightly
-Make registration required to view the site (as is all of the leaks require you to make an account anyways), this along with the first thing will greatly reduce unregistered user access

-Use an external site for hosting avatars, or Don't cache image attachments if possible to reduce total bandwidth

-Instead of the integrated discord widget on the front page, make it a link you can join. This wouldn't probably make much of a difference in bandwidth or traffic, but would make the site load faster.

Last edited:

Jisenku

Comfortable Member
Feb 9, 2023
Here's some suggestions

-Put robots.txt to Disable archive.org bot and Google archiving if you haven't already to reduce traffic slightly
-Make registration required to view the site (as is all of the leaks require you to make an account anyways)
-Use an external site for hosting avatars, or Don't cache image attachments if possible to reduce total bandwidth
😭 gravatar integration is right there, they just haven't forced it just yet

also they're using xenforo which is so damn expensive, i feel like atp you could just self-host a discourse forum and it be cheaper

Reactions: sergi1300 and kong

loon93

Aug 11, 2022
😭 gravatar integration is right there, they just haven't forced it just yet

also they're using xenforo which is so damn expensive, i feel like atp you could just self-host a discourse forum and it be cheaper

im pretty sure they use cracked xenforo, so they arent traceable. i dont think they are stupid to buy this software to get caught from RIAA after. lol

thats why he is saying he needs to update this software. xenforo with licensing is updating itself.

Jisenku

Comfortable Member
Feb 9, 2023
im pretty sure they use cracked xenforo, so they arent traceable. i dont think they are stupid to buy this software to get caught from RIAA after. lol

thats why he is saying he needs to update this software. xenforo with licensing is updating itself.
dude that's even worse, atp just use FOSS instead of cracked shit

• RT
Reactions: Madvilliany

hovercrux

Comfortable Member
Jul 4, 2024
Not entirely sure how everything works around here, but I have ideas.

• As some have mentioned, using a more lightweight (and open source) solution like Flarum will allow you to reduce server costs. This is the riskiest but highest reward option, as migration might be difficult with the size of the forum. Some people have done it before, though, so it's not entirely impossible. Worth a Google.
  • I notice the majority, if not all, of the images are served as JPEGs. Have you considered using WebP? It has support in every major browser and can save about 25-34% on images. This would probably be the best overall solution based on difficulty, but would depend on switching the forum over to a software that supports WebP, which XF oddly doesn't in 2024.
  • How much control do you have over machine? Assuming it runs some flavor of Linux, configuring full disk compression with an algorithm like zstd can save a lot of space, but would, in theory, increase the load on the CPU. I'm not sure which one would be more expensive, but this would be a fairly easy thing to do if you have admin access.
  • Is any post-upload compression done to images? This would help in the future, and solutions are already available for every major forum software like XenForo w/ a dedicated plugin or ImageMagick. Compression of current images is also possible, but I fear of irreversible and perceptible degradation to vital images if that's not done correctly.
  • Slightly unrelated, but to bypass KYC, there are many safe services available that allow you to exchange cryptocurrency directly with buyers & sellers in various ways - online, in person, or over mail. Perhaps you could have some staff or trusted community members in various parts of the world exchange the crypto? You could also switch to a host that supports crypto payments, but you've probably already thought of that.
Anyways, I wish you the best on finding a solution that benefits the community as a whole. This seems to be a really great place for unreleased music and it would be a shame for that to go away.

Good luck!

mztn

May 23, 2024
Not entirely sure how everything works around here, but I have ideas.

• As some have mentioned, using a more lightweight (and open source) solution like Flarum will allow you to reduce server costs. This is the riskiest but highest reward option, as migration might be difficult with the size of the forum. Some people have done it before, though, so it's not entirely impossible. Worth a Google.
  • I notice the majority, if not all, of the images are served as JPEGs. Have you considered using WebP? It has support in every major browser and can save about 25-34% on images. This would probably be the best overall solution based on difficulty, but would depend on switching the forum over to a software that supports WebP, which XF oddly doesn't in 2024.
  • How much control do you have over machine? Assuming it runs some flavor of Linux, configuring full disk compression with an algorithm like zstd can save a lot of space, but would, in theory, increase the load on the CPU. I'm not sure which one would be more expensive, but this would be a fairly easy thing to do if you have admin access.
  • Is any post-upload compression done to images? This would help in the future, and solutions are already available for every major forum software like XenForo w/ a dedicated plugin or ImageMagick. Compression of current images is also possible, but I fear of irreversible and perceptible degradation to vital images if that's not done correctly.
  • Slightly unrelated, but to bypass KYC, there are many safe services available that allow you to exchange cryptocurrency directly with buyers & sellers in various ways - online, in person, or over mail. Perhaps you could have some staff or trusted community members in various parts of the world exchange the crypto? You could also switch to a host that supports crypto payments, but you've probably already thought of that.
Anyways, I wish you the best on finding a solution that benefits the community as a whole. This seems to be a really great place for unreleased music and it would be a shame for that to go away.

Good luck!
Your retarded if you think anyone's gonna do all that just to save like $50 a month

hovercrux

Comfortable Member
Jul 4, 2024
Your retarded if you think anyone's gonna do all that just to save like $50 a month
Don't see you suggesting anything. You wanna speak up, broski?

Even if it was only $50, they said the monthly server cost is $225 so that would cut the bill by 22%.

Reactions: Malcy and goth

3xh

Comfortable Member
Apr 19, 2023
can you please fix the discord integration on the site. it stopped working a few months back, people who created their account with discord no longer have the option to log in with discord or reset their PW, and the leakthis discord bot would notify you whenever you got a PM or notification on the site.

Bruhbrahbreh

Comfortable Member
Jan 18, 2023
nigga post a receipt aint no way in hell you're paying over $200 a month to host a raggedy ass forum with basic ass (pirated) software

if you actually are I'll be your new plug for $199 because jesus christ. you can get 16GB ram 8core CPU 6TB transfer 320GBnvme ssd for $80/month lmao. you could even offload the storage which would drop that by half and no way in hell you even need it that powerful (which you don't have considering the extended downtimes, massive lag, and when you essentially turned the site off to the US lmfao) so someone is literally fisting your asshole props to them

Last edited:
Reactions: goth and mztn

bruh

Jan 30, 2021
nigga post a receipt aint no way in hell you're paying over $200 a month to host a raggedy ass forum with basic ass (pirated) software

if you actually are I'll be your new plug for $199 because jesus christ. you can get 16GB ram 8core CPU 6TB transfer 320GBnvme ssd for $80/month lmao. you could even offload the storage which would drop that by half and no way in hell you even need it that powerful (which you don't have considering the extended downtimes, massive lag, and when you essentially turned the site off to the US lmfao) so someone is literally fisting your asshole props to them
Interesting username but please be kind to other people 😊 👍

Top Bottom